Friday, April 6, 2012

Art Blooms

So one of the events I participate in, here in Baltimore is Art Blooms at the Walters. We create a flower arrangement based off a piece of art. This year it's the Mayan exhibit and we have a small clay statue of a Mayan god, that has deteriorated a bit through the years. So imagination and creativity will come into play. My club the Ten Hills Garden Club has been in existence for 79 years. It's been a struggle to get fresh blood into the club, with so many people working more then one job, a garden club seems like something your great aunt would do. So we are doing what we can to change that image.

This event at the Walters is pretty amazing. The rules are strict so as not to let creatures into the gallery. All flowers have to come from a florist, nothing from your yard. No standing water only oasis can be used. We have a terracotta pot which we have sealed 3 times just to be safe and we have a plastic liner. I've brushed it with bronze gilders paste to add some luster. Today I go to seal the deal with the florist for the stems we want to use. I will take pictures to post so you can see the result. If you live near Baltimore I highly recommend it. It's April 13-15. Typically 30-50 clubs participate and it's a fund raiser for the Women's committee .
I think this event is what peaked my interest for the Art Bead Scene challenges, it's the same type of artistic expression, only with Artisan made beads.

No comments:

Post a Comment